The Hartsville Memorial Library is located in downtown Hartsville, South Carolina, in the northwestern part of Darlington County. It was started by volunteers in 1920. The Hartsville Library Board was officially commissioned on March 27, 1936, by an act of the S.C. Legislature.
In 1968, the library became a part of the Darlington County Library System.
The Library has made many moves during its history. In 1994, the library moved to its present location at the corner of 6th Street and West College Avenue. A new wing was added in 2001. Renovations were also made to the original building, including the installation of new wiring and the addition of new computers.
The Hartsville Memorial Library is the largest facility in the system. It also has the highest circulation in the system.