The Society Hill Library was organized December 7, 1822. It is one of the oldest social libraries founded in South Carolina. A library society was formed to make rules for the management, and to assist with additions to the collection of books as needed. Members contributed $20 making a total of $240, with which Elias Gregg purchased books in Philadelphia.
The original building, in its restored state, has been placed near the Society Hill Town Hall. The building was restored in early 1971 by the Dogwood Garden Club and the Society Hill Township for use as a public library, after being closed for more than 20 years. The library was reopened April 30, 1971.
The Library later moved to a small brick building located on the St. David’s Academy school grounds. The facility was 850 square feet.
Seeing the need for a better library facility in Society Hill, Senator Gerald Malloy and the Darlington Legislative Delegation presented Darlington County Council and the Library Board with a check for $250,000 on September 18, 2006. These funds were used toward the construction of a new library to replace the small library. Construction of the new building was started in December 2010. The new 4,400 square foot Branch on Carrigan Street opened in August 2011.