Use of the meeting room is available to nonprofit community groups and organizations only. No group whose purpose is commercial in nature may use library space, even if the planned event meets other use criteria. Meeting rooms may not be used for:
- Religious worship or denominational religious meetings.
- Political rallies or campaigns for specific candidates.
- Showers, wedding receptions, birthday parties, or other parties of similar nature.
No admission fee may be charged for any event or any direct sales except for Library or Friends sponsored event. Charges such as registration or material fees for a workshop or membership dues for an organization may be allowed and are not considered fees.
The Darlington County Library System shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, handicap, or political affiliation.
The Library system and its affiliated organizations and programs have first priority for the use of meeting rooms. Government agencies have second priority and are charged no fees for use. Nonprofit community groups and organizations may reserve meeting room space on a first come, first served basis.
The meeting room may be reserved for no more than 12 dates in a single calendar year or four days in a single month. Library or county related programs are exempt from limits on frequency of use.
The Library reserves these right to:
- Monitor the use of the meeting room.
- Revoke meeting room privileges at any time.
- Restrict meetings that extend outside normal business hours
No group or organization will be permitted use of the room if it appears that the contemplated use would be a clear or perceived danger to the Library, its occupants, or the community. The size of your group may not exceed the room’s stated maximum occupancy.
The individual signing the meeting room use form on behalf of the an organization agrees to:
- Inform participants of all regulations governing use of the meeting room.
- Accept full liability for any loss or damage to the facilities or equipment.
- Confine the organization’s activities to the assigned room.
- Provide any and all room set-up / take-down, equipment, supplies, food, and trash bags needed by the group. The Library staff is not responsible for any amenities or room set-up / take-down, unless previously arranged with the Library Branch Manager. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS RULE WILL RESULT IN DENIAL OF FUTURE MEETING ROOM USE.
- Clear room of your equipment, supplies, food, and trash by the designated end of your time.
- It is a violation of Federal Law to exhibit prerecorded visual media beyond the scope of family viewing. Therefore, it is understood that all necessary licenses must be secured to show visual materials in the Library’s meeting room. The signing individual and group will indemnify the Library from any expenses that may occur because of failure to do so.
- Loud talk or any use of the room which disturbs in any way the library or library users is prohibited.
- Kitchenette facilities may be used only for light refreshments. No utensils are provided by the Library.
- No candles or other incendiary materials may be used.
- No alcohol beverages or illegal drugs are permitted in the Library. Smoking is not allowed in the Library.
- No signs, displays, or any promotional or directional materials may be distributed or put up on Library grounds without prior permission.
- A meeting room reservation may be cancelled due to unanticipated building or weather conditions at the discretion of the Library Branch Manager and the Director.
If a conflict arises over the interpretation of the meeting room use policy, the matter will be referred to the Library Board of Trustees. The Library Board of Trustees must approve exceptions to this policy. The Director of the Library is granted power to waive rules if in her/his judgment an emergency or other conditions warrant this action. The Director must report all such waivers to the Library Board at its next regularly scheduled meeting.
A reservation for the room will be placed on the calendar at the Branch requested when the completed application has been approved and signed by the Library Branch Manager. The Library will go by the approval date on a first-come, first-served basis. The applicant should mail, fax, e-mail, or bring the completed form to the Library. Meeting room availability is available upon request. No reservations for room use will be booked until the application has been received and approved by the Library Branch Manager.